+ points of using highcharts:
- Compatibility - It is compatible with all modern browsers including the iPhone/iPad and Internet Explorer from version 6.
- Free for non-commercial - It is free for a personal website, a school site or a non-profit organisation, there is no need of the author's permission.
- Open - This is the main feature of Highcharts that under any of the licenses, free or not, you are allowed to download the source code and make your own edits. Also permits for personal modifications and a ample flexibility.
- Numerous Chart Types - Highcharts supports line, column, area, areaspline, spline, bar, scatter, pie, angular gauges, arearange, column range, areasplinerange and polar chart types.
- Dynamic - Even after creation of chart, you can add, remove and modify series and points or even axes whenever you want with the help of full API.
- Multiple Axes - In case, you want to compare variables that are not on the same scale, Highcharts lets you assign an y axis for each series - or an x axis if you want to compare data sets of different categories. Each axis can be placed to the right or left, top or bottom of the chart. All options can be set individually, including reversing, styling and position.
- Tooltip Labels - Highcharts can show a tooltip text with information on each point and series. The tooltip follows as the user moves the mouse over the graph, and efforts have been taken to make it stick to the nearest point and making it easy to read a point that is below another point.
- Date-time Axis - Almost 75% of all charts with an X and Y axis have a date-time X axis. Highchart is really smart about time values. With milliseconds axis units, Highcharts decides where to place the ticks in order that they always mark the start of the month or the week, midnight and midday, the full hour etc.
- Export and print - After enabling the exporting module, users can export the chart to PDF, SVG, PNG or JPG format or can be printed directly from the web page.
- Zooming - Zooming in, can provide you with a view of the data more closely. It can be done in the X or Y dimension, or both.
- Angular gauges - Perfect for dashboards. Provides speedometer-like charts, which is easy to read at a quick glance.
- Inverted Chart or Reversed Axis - In case, you need to flip over your chart and make the X axis appear vertical, like for instance in a bar chart. Reversing the axis, with the highest values appearing closest to origo, is also supported.
- Text Rotation for Labels - All text labels, including axis labels, data labels for the point and axis titles, can be rotated in any angle.
Implementation of Highcharts at Srijan:
- Highcharts in Srijan is used with Drupal 7. It has been used for making students examination portal, it displays students progress report by which it becomes easy to find the current status. http://www.highcharts.com/demo/line-basic is used here.