Faster time to market is one of the key advantages of containerizing with Kubernetes. Our client had multiple K8s clusters on different cloud providers, which led to a fragmented developer experience. To offer a uniform experience to the developers, platform operators had to get familiar with multiple complex technologies that required a steep learning curve. This led to a loss in developer productivity and longer go-to-market times.
The need of the hour was to come up with a solid hybrid platform strategy that can offer a single pane of glass view for Kubernetes Cluster Operations. To make this happen, our strong team of platform experts - who are familiar with Kubernetes operations across AWS, GCP, Azure and Private Cloud - worked with the customer to enable seamless operations across multiple clouds.
- We decided to build a multi-cloud platform using Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG), as it uses Cluster API as a backbone to provide consistent K8s experience on multiple cloud providers.
- We also leveraged the capabilities of the Tanzu ecosystem (Tanzu Mission Control (TMC), Tanzu Service Mesh (TSM) and Tanzu observability (TO)) to get the single pane of glass view for platform operations.
To create a modern cloud-native platform for their online gaming workloads, we leveraged:
- TKG to provide streamlined cluster operations across AWS, Azure, and vSphere for Kubernetes runtime,
- TMC to allow cluster operators to manage K8s Clusters at scale,
- TSM and TO offered observability and logging for a better experience and overall efficiency.
The Business Benefits
The solution ensured a better experience for the developers and platform operators that led to faster time to value. An effective outcome at the end of this project was a single pane of glass view for platform operations and additional benefits such as:
- 70% reduction in time to operate
The time taken by the platform team to learn complex technologies was reduced as they started managing all their operations via a single platform through TKGI instead of their older method that involved using AWS, GCP, or KOPS.
- Reduced the time to migrate and modernize their gaming products from years to months
One of the key wins was the quick migration and modernization of their gaming products from AWS ECS to a new platform. This was done by our team in 6 weeks, proving that modernization can be done in weeks instead of months or years.
- Increased developer productivity
Developer productivity is an important metric, which can be improved by offering a great developer experience. But this metric is often overlooked. With the new platform, our client now offers a great experience to their developers and platform operators by providing the right tools and technologies. This resulted in faster development times and better quality of products and features that helps them to remain competitive.